Joel Hilchey wants to change how people think about success, because too many people spend their time doing stuff they don’t really care about.
Joel thinks a lot about success, and he’s proud to be a true renaissance man. He earned a Master’s in environmental engineering, teaches sustainability at McMaster University, writes about leadership, and is often remembered as the speaker at conferences who juggles mousetraps. Mostly though, he tries to be a good dad, husband, and friend, so he only really works part-time.
In 2017, Joel earned his CSP™ (Certiﬁed Speaking Professional) designation – the speaking profession’s international measure of speaking experience and skill. The CSP™ designation indicates a proven track record of continuing speaking experience and expertise, as well as a commitment to ongoing education, outstanding client service, and ethical behavior.
Joel has two books – one that’s illustrated, and another one about becoming fearlessly creative. He founded a youth engagement initiative called The Beanstalk Project, is chair of the board of the world-renowned Hamilton Children’s Choir, and sang for 10 years in (arguably) Canada’s best barbershop quartet. He recently started taking circus classes, and he also loves to travel, cook, do yoga, and taste exotic foods, but that stuff is just for fun.
Joel Hilchey’s Speech Topics and Descriptions:
Joel’s messages of leadership, risk-taking, and personal success are universal; he can custom tailor a presentation for many themes and events:
• Taking smart risks, being your best self, leading with integrity, and making a difference.
Careers & Pathways Events
• Choosing our own paths, thinking outside the box, overcoming fear, and enjoying the journey.
• Getting involved, taking smart risks, eliminating judgement, and creating a school where everyone feels like they belong.
For Educators, Joel has 3 main presentations:
Entitlementality (& How to Teach Against It)
• Many students feel “entitled” – to an easy path, discipline immunity, and success without effort. We’ll discuss classroom tactics to switch entitlementality into empathy.
Feeling Drained? How to Beat the Burnout & Make Work Fun Again
• We pour our energy into our jobs, but too often, we’re left feeling drained and tapped out. This hilarious and insightful presentation will help you get back on track.
Brainsprouting: How to Become Fearlessly Creative & Have Better Ideas More Often
• Unlock your hidden creative talents, generate hundreds of innovative ideas, and learn facilitation techniques to maximize your team’s creativity.